Sunday 21 September 2008

World Builder Strikes Again


I am rather chuffed at the moment. For the past 4-5 years I have slowly -sometimes very slowly- been building my own fantasy world. Now building a fantasy world is all well and good but unless you have some way of getting the audience in to your world then it is nothing but a fictional place in your mind.

So the 'user experience' has always been something I have pondered about. With writers the usual way for someone to immerse themselves within your world is for you to write a novel, or a series of short stories. Such as what JRR Tolkien and JK Rowling have done with their novels, who by the way I do believe are two of the best 'World Builders'.

Taking this path up on myself I decided to write my own novel, as I am sure many people do or intend to do at some point. However, after the first chapter or two I soon began to realise that I didn't really know an awful lot about my world. It just wasn't a 3D place that I could visit. I needed to get it in my mind. The result was that I begun to develop the world history along with maps for the world.

Anyways, I am getting to my point, I decided that making myself a HUGE world map would be a cool project to do. So I drew one of the continents over a few pieces of A4 paper. The problem was that I didn't have any big sheets of paper to draw on, then when I did have big sheets of paper I lost my initial sketches as such I never produced the HUGE world map.

I have now found the initial sketches!!! Whoot, yea. I was so happy when I found them. The HUGE map is in the process of being made and I am going to re-open my 'Creating Original Worlds Blog' to follow the production of this map.

Please feel free to go over and have a read of the blog. It can be found at the following link:

Creating Original Worlds

No comments: